Thursday, December 21, 2006

The PS3 Fiasco

About three weeks ago I decide that waiting for a Nintendo Wii to fall into my lap was not going to happen (Yes, I meant Wii, hold your horses I'm getting there) . So I wake up on a Sun morning at 5:00 am to head over to my local Target, where I heard they were getting a shipment. After standing in line for two hours, I was one of the lucky eight to receive a ticket. I felt sorry for the other 35 people but obviously not that sorry because I got one. While I was literally paying for my Wii, I spotted a PS3 box out of the corner of my eye. I asked if it was a display and the target employee told me "no, it was for sale." I quickly grabbed it, assuming that I would make a small fortune on ebay for it. $900.00 later I was walking out with not only my coveted Wii, but also a PS3 in hand.

As soon as I got home I placed the PS3 on ebay and hoped for the best. After 3 days of no bids, I was beginning to get concerned. Then I got a "Buy it now" bite for $1200. "SWEET!" I invoiced them through Paypal and almost immediately got a response. I went to my Paypal account to transfer the money and low and behold, it wasn't there. I went back to the confirmation email to review the fine print. It said "Because this is an international shipment, Paypal will hold your money in escrow until a tracking number is sent to this email address." This sounded extremely weird to me, so I called Paypal. After waiting on the phone for 30 min, a rep asked me where I was suppose to send it to. I told her that the purchase was from CA. but it now says that the shipment was to go to Nigeria. That's when she said "DON'T SEND IT!" It was a fake email from a scammer in Nigeria. SUCK!

Needless to say that after trying to sell my PS3 three times on ebay, I failed. I couldn't get more then $100 for all my efforts. The market was completely flooded to the point that they were selling for exactly what I bought it for. Not only that, but I tried to sell it to four of my friends and no one wanted it. So today I took it back to Target with a defeat on my face as well as one single tear. When I gave it to the clerk, he told me that I was one of many people returning their PS3's because they couldn't sell them on ebay.

So I guess if you are a Sony fanboy this is good news for you. You can get a PS3 no problem now. But if you are one of the many people that managed to get a PS3 in hopes of riches beyond your imagination, the time has past.

No comments: