Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Mass Effect Review

Well I just finished Mass Effect, Bioware's new Action/RPG for the Xbox 360. I was very excited about this game because it carried the promise of realistic conversations. Where this feature was a little over-promised, it still was the only game that has gotten me to play an RPG. I've never been into the Final Fantasy or even Oblivion type games because of how much attention to detail and management it took. This game however, had me caring about my character and his relationships with my team.

THE GOOD

The graphics, acting, and script are very good and I equate this game with a good sci-fi movie experience. The battle system is a great balance between 3rd person shoot (like gears of war) and RPG.

THE BAD

That's the good stuff, here is the bad. Though the game is amazing looking, you constantly are seeing textures building in which tends to take you out of the moment sometimes. This is weird considering I rarely see this problem in modern games. There is also a vehicle that you are in for quite a few battles throughout that is almost undrivable. It feels like you are floating with no gravity (which is not intentional) and causes you to die quite a few times. The worse thing is the save system that causes you to have to save in the menu almost everytime you accomplish anything in a level.

All that being said, I really enjoyed this game and it is setup in such a way that I know the next I play it the experience will be different. Everyone should at least try this game.

No comments: